I did some growing this weekend.
We had that garage sale I mentioned. It came and went faster than I anticipated. (Thus is life.) We made a few bucks that we are excited to give to the children’s home, and we got rid of a lot of things from our house. Last year our garage sale was much bigger, but this year I couldn’t believe how much we came up with to get rid of again. Even while the garage sale was going on, I was finding more things to get rid of. With that being said, we’re already planning for one more garage sale at the end of July. A small one, but still. The pile of things I can live without is growing and that makes me h-a-p-p-y.
So, I’m finding that I like getting rid of things.
Things are losing their value (even if their sentiment remains), and I’m able to say, “I don’t need this to be happy” anymore.
This year I gladly skimmed each room and didn’t just grab a blanket or a chair we never use to throw in the sale. This year I went through drawers and boxes. I went through books, and sheet music, and greeting cards written to me from the previous years. I went through stacks of receipts, and business cards, and photos, and cds. Oh, did I go through cd’s! I gave each cd a few moments of my listening ear and absolutely enjoyed every moment. You probably should have been there, too, but since you weren’t…
Ladies and gents, I present to you an epic burnt cd compilation:
1. “In Love With A Girl” – Gavin Degraw
2. “Gangsta’s Paradise” – Coolio feat. L.V.
3. “Bubles System’s (Original Mix)” – Under Noise
4. “Forget You” – Cee Lo Green
5. “Bottoms Up” – Trey Songz feat. Nicki Minaj
6. “Love In This Club (Main Version)” – Usher feat. Young Jeezy
7. “Wild Wild West” – Will Smith
8. ” Thug Story” – Taylor Swift
9. “Mockingbird” – Eminem
10. “This Is Why I’m Hot (Blackout Remix)” – Mims feat. Cham & Junior Reed
11. “Beautiful” – Eminem
12. “Girlfight (Clean Radio Edit)” – Brooke Valentine feat. Big Boi
13. “Billionaire” – Travie McCoy feat. Bruno Mars
14. “La Tortura” – Shakira feat. Alejandro Sanz
15. “I Like It” – Enrique Iglesias feat. Pitbull
16. “Whip My Hair (Drum N Bass Remix)” – Hoodfellas
17. “Baby I’m Back” – Baby Bash feat. Akon
18. “Breathe (2 AM)” – Anna Nalick
19. “Mr. Brightside” – The Killers
20. “Feel Good Inc” – Gorillaz
And another compilation:
1. “Crush” – David Archuleta
2. “Her Eyes” – Pat Monahan
3. “Fallin’ for You” – Colbie Caillat
4. “Say Hey (I Love You) – Michael Franti & Spearhead feat. Cherie Anderson
5. “Butterfly” – Crazy Town
6. “Save Tonight” – Eagle-Eye Cherry
7. “Confidence (Step Ladder Version)” – Teddy Geiger
8. “Here In Your Bedroom” – Goldfinger
9. “Wish You Were Here” – Incubus
10. “18 Days” – Saving Abel
11. “Come On Get Higher” – Matt Nathanson
12. “Let My Love Open The Door” – Pete Townsend
13. “Alright” – Darius Rucker
14. “With Me” – Sum41
15. “Hey Leonardo” – Blessid Union of Souls
16. “Only You” – Josh Kelley
17. “Never Gonna Be Alone” – Nickelback
Okay, no more. But you can’t lie… amazing selections, huh? Haha!
On a more serious note, I hadn’t realized that these items that were taking up so much space in my home were also taking up a bunch of space in my heart. Having purged many items that were not life-bringing, I found that I feel lighter. At the garage sale I watched people walk away with my things, with my memories. I was grateful that I didn’t have to carry some of their weight anymore, and that a new person was about to assign new meaning to these things. Looking around my house now I see very little clutter. Instead of seeing a box in the corner that I know has random pieces of my life that just weigh me down for whatever reason, I see a clean corner. No box filled with clutter and not even dust or dog hair on the floor. It’s just clean. It’s like a fresh slate.
Something I’ve been asking myself lately is, “If our house suffered a fire, what in my house would I re-purchase?” I’m finding there are very few things I’d re-purchase, and I am trying to get to a point where I only keep around the things that I would re-purchase. I’ve got a ways to go, but it’s progress.
On a better note, our bedroom is so free of clutter and so clean that is looks like we just moved it. This also makes me (and Bear) h-a-p-p-y.
Try to find something in your home after you read this that isn’t life-bringing and just eliminate it! Donate it to someone who can assign new meaning to it.